Arsenal told verdict on new Nketiah contract as 'ransom' claim issued

By Gabriel Agbonlahor

11th May, 2022 | 6:00pm

Arsenal accused of Eddie Nketiah U-turn by Agbonlahor

Arsenal will not be held to “ransom” by Eddie Nketiah in negotiations over a new contract after a U-turn on keeping him, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker insisted Arsenal will only want to keep hold of the striker, 22, on their “terms”.

Nketiah has scored four times in his last five Premier League starts but it is out of contract at the end of the season.

The Mirror reported on Tuesday (10 May) that the club are doing everything to keep hold of the Englishman who has attracted interest from six Premier League clubs.

“Earlier on in the season I didn’t but I think Arsenal will want him now,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.

“But they will only renew his contract if it’s on a wage that reflects the fact he’s going to be a back up.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“Arsenal are not going to go into the Champions League with Nketiah as their main striker so that will be reflected in his wages.

“Arsenal will not be held to ransom for a player like Nketiah. They will want to keep him but only on their terms.

“He has to understand that Arsenal are going in a different direction to other clubs. They’re going to be playing Champions League football and will know they have to bring in top quality players, especially at striker.”

Before his recent run of five starts, Nketiah had not started a Premier League game this season.

Of his 56 top-flight appearances for the Gunners, only 16 have been starts.

In other news, an ex-Fifa official has major concerns as ‘big’ Tottenham v Arsenal referee news is confirmed.