Gabriel Agbonlahor has claimed it is “bad news” for Tottenham that Gareth Bale had been pictured with his ankle strapped up – and he could be pulled out of Wales’ international matches.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley, the former England and Aston Villa striker claimed Bale has been a “bright spark” for Spurs in recent weeks.

The Wales international made his first Premier League start of the season against West Brom on Sunday but was pictured with his ankle strapped up after being substituted in the 78th minute.

However, Wales assistant manager Robert Page, who is taking charge of the side in Ryan Giggs’ absence, claimed all of the squad were “unscathed”.

He told the BBC on Monday: “We have met up tonight and thankfully everybody else has come through unscathed. That’s the good news.”

Page’s side face the USA in a friendly before Nations League games against Finland and the Republic of Ireland.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Asked by Football Insider if it’s bad news for Tottenham that images show Bale with heavy strapping, Agbonlahor said: “Yes, it is bad news for Spurs. It’s not ideal.

“But I’m sure Mourinho will speak to Bale and if he’s not right for the Wales games I’m sure Jose Mourinho and Bale will agree that he won’t play. It will be interesting to see.

“He’s been a bright spark for Spurs, they’re going to need him fit because they’re not going to want him to miss any games.

“It’s going to be interesting to see what happens in the international break.”

 

Bale has scored once and provided one assist in six appearances for Tottenham since he returned on loan from Real Madrid in September.

The Cardiff born winger has now started just five league games in 2020 across his time in Spain and north London.

In other news, a top pundit has issued a “brutal” warning to a Spurs player amid a behind-the-scenes reveal.