Newcastle United have told their players to be ready to return to training early next week – subject to what Boris Johnson says when he addresses the nation, Football Insider has learned.

The Prime Minister will speak to the country at 7pm on Sunday to outline plans for the next stage of lockdown.

Reports in the national media have suggested rules on exercise could be relaxed and more people will be encouraged to return to work.

Newcastle will use the latest government guidelines to make a decision on when their players report for training – with the squad having been told that could be early next week.

The north-east giants have also been making provisions to their Benton training base so players can still adhere to social distancing rules.

If they are able to train next week, it will be in small groups of four to five players at a time with a limited number of coaches.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Times for players to arrive and depart will also be staggered so only a set number of people will be at the training ground at one time.

Newcastle stars have been waiting on information about a training return even though sides like Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal reported back for work last week.

The source said they are delighted at the prospect of returning to the training ground after nearly two months of lockdown.

The likes of runaway league leaders Liverpool have been back in action in recent days.

Those clubs are attempting to train in smaller groups while observing social distancing measures due to the virus pandemic.

In other Newcastle United news, Kevin Phillips has tipped the club to sign up midfielder as “world beater” plan revealed.