Campbell delivers verdict on 'crushing' Wilson news at Newcastle
Newcastle United will not be overly worried by Callum Wilson’s injury with Premier League survival secured, according to Kevin Campbell.
However, the former Arsenal and Everton forward, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, said the latest setback will be “crushing” for the 29-year-old given he has only just returned from a long injury lay-off.
The club confirmed on Tuesday that their talismanic striker will miss the final three games of the 2020-21 campaign after he suffered a hamstring injury in Newcastle’s sensational 4-2 win over Leicester City on Friday.
Frustrating way to end my first season at @nufc having to miss the last 2 weeks through injury, especially with our first home game this season with fans coming up 🤦🏽♂️
I’ll be back stronger & hungrier with hopefully a full St James Park. I’m looking forward to meeting you all ✌🏾 pic.twitter.com/Ojp6Q3rKlC
— Callum Wilson (@CallumWilson) May 12, 2021
Wilson is the Magpies’ top scorer this season, with an impressive 12 goals in 26 Premier League appearances.
Campbell heaped praise on the former Bournemouth striker after he scored twice at the King Power Stadium last week.
“It’s crushing for Callum Wilson but at the end of the day it is job done,” he told Football Insider.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“Let’s be honest, the season is over for Newcastle anyway, they have got over the line.
“They worked ever so hard to get Wilson back fit and in the team and it is a shame he has got injured so soon again but they are safe now. The job is done. It is not nice to lose one of your best players but the club will not be overly worried about that now.
“He played incredibly against Leicester and got the crucial goals.
“It is job done for Callum Wilson. He can put his feet up now, recover and then start to get ready for next season.”