Caoimhin Kelleher: Liverpool braced for offers from trio after 'extraordinary' claim - sources
Liverpool are braced for offers Caoimhin Kelleher this summer but are determined not let their backup goalkeeper go for a cut-price fee, sources have told Football Insider.
The Irishman is attracting interest from across the Premier League ahead of the transfer window opening, with Tottenham, Brentford and Brighton among the clubs keeping tabs on his situation.
Jurgen Klopp appeared to pour cold water on rumours that Kelleher‘s future could lie away from Anfield when asked about the subject at a press conference last Friday.
The German said: “Honestly, I can’t see Caoimh leaving. It must be an extraordinary offer that I start thinking, I have to say.”
However, Football Insider understands that it is possible the Cork-born shot-stopper forces the issue in order to pursue regular football elsewhere.
He has made just three appearances in all competitions this term, failing to dislodge Premier League ever-present Alisson Becker.
Get Exclusive transfers news at Football Insider's YouTube TV channel
That is largely down to the Reds struggling in both domestic cups, where the majority of the 24-year-old’s first-team outings have come.
Kelleher enjoyed his career highlight in the League Cup last term, playing in all but one of Liverpool’s games as they went on to lift the trophy at Wembley.
Indeed, he proved to be the hero in the final against Chelsea, scoring a penalty in the shootout moments before opposite number Kepa Arrizabalaga missed his to send the cup to Anfield.
As revealed by Football Insider earlier this month, Liverpool are assessing their options ahead of a potential reshuffle in the goalkeeping department, with Hannover’s Ron-Robert Zieler one option being considered.
The Reds are also in talks with third-choice ‘keeper Adrian San Miguel over extending his stay at Anfield.
In other news, Milner could be about to make a late U-turn on his future after ‘agreeing’ Brighton move.