Former striker Tony Cascarino has said that £27million striker Cenk Tosun looks like another Everton big-money flop.
Writing in his column in the Times, Cascarino said that Everton are heading in the “wrong direction” after a 1-0 defeat to Watford at the weekend.
It wasn’t so much the score as the manner of defeat that had a lot of people criticising Everton after their loss at Vicarage Park.
Tosun arrived for £27million from Besiktas in January and has already been criticised by manager Sam Allardyce, who said the player would need time to adapt to the physicality of the Premier League.
He’s made four Premier League appearances but is still looking for his first goal and couldn’t help inspire a comeback when he came on for the last 33 minutes of the Watford clash on Saturday evening.
Cascarino questioned whether Allardyce would be at Goodison Park next season before launching in on their recruitment.
“They have an awful away record — winning only once all season and losing four in a row — and the recruitment has been dreadful for some time,” Cascarino wrote.
“Cenk Tosun cost £27 million last month but again started on the bench on Saturday.
“It already looks unlikely that he will make the impact expected.”
In other Everton news, Allardyce turn on players after 1-0 defeat v Watford as he shows signs of pressure.