Conor Gallagher: Brighton plot raid to replace star who's agreed to join Liverpool - sources
Brighton are long-term admirers of Chelsea midfielder Conor Gallagher, sources have told Football Insider.
A well-placed source has told Football Insider that the Seagulls see the 23-year-old as a potential ready-made replacement for Alexis Mac Allister.
Mac Allister has already completed a move to Liverpool in this summer window for a reported initial fee of £35million.
Brighton and Chelsea are already locked in talks over a potential move for Moises Caicedo – despite the midfielder signing a fresh four-year contract earlier this year.
Football Insider revealed on Monday (19 June) that the Blues are ready to submit a formal offer for Caicedo this week – with the Londoners already reaching a “verbal understanding” with the midfielder over personal terms.
It is believed Brighton are holding out for big-money bid for the Ecuador international – who is valued at in excess of £80million.
That valuation could make a swap deal more appealing to Chelsea, who have spent lavishly since Todd Boehly’s takeover last year (2022).
A well-placed source has told Football Insider that Gallagher is valued at £30million by the Blues.
The England international, who was part of the squad for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, made 45 appearances in the 2022-23 season – scoring three and assisting one.
His contract at Stamford Bridge, which nets him a reported £50,000-a-week, runs until June 2025.
The best football of Gallagher’s career came on loan at Crystal Palace in the 2021-22 season, when he notched eight goals and five assists across 39 appearances in all competitions.
Brighton have already wrapped up deals for two midfielders so far this summer.
James Milner and Mahmoud Dahoud have joined on free transfers from Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund respectively.
In other news, Chelsea striker deal “90% done” as personal terms agreed.