Deal close: Liverpool attacker transfer draws step nearer after new talks
By Italy correspondent Gianluigi Carrozzini
Joao Teixeira has had a new meeting with Fiorentina to discuss a summer move, Football Insider sources understand.
The Liverpool attacking midfielder has been by targeted the Serie A club on the recommendation of their manager Paulo Sousa.
Teixeira is poised to leave Anfield at the end of the season after failing to agree an extension to his current deal, which expires in June.
A source close to the situation has told Football Insider that the 23-year-old has been made an offer by Fiorentina and told how he fits into their plans for the future during recent discussions.
Liverpool do not expect the youngster to be at the club next season as he has had only a bit-part role at Anfield and is keen to play regular first-team football.
Click below for exclusive transfer news
Fiorentina are fifth in Serie A but their hopes of qualifying for next season’s Champions League are fading with just five matches of the season remaining.
An agreement is not yet in place but all parties are hopeful that a deal can be concluded for Teixeira to move to Italy on a free transfer.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp claimed in January that talks with the winger were “ongoing” and he was hopeful Teixeira would stay at Anfield but that now seems unlikely.
The young winger was pictured in first-team training at Melwood on Tuesday as Liverpool prepared for Wednesday night’s showdown against Everton at Anfield.
Teixeira has made nine appearances for the club, including seven earlier this year, scoring his first goal for the Merseysiders in an FA Cup win over Exeter.
But he has not played since a cameo appearance against Augsburg on 25 February and was ignored as Klopp fielded experimental teams in the recent Premier League wins over Stoke and Bournemouth.
In other Liverpool transfer news, the Merseysiders have clinched a summer deal for a new defender.