Everton given boost in marquee signing pursuit after rivals agree terms with £21.5m star - reports
By Tom Blackburn
Man City are close to signing goalkeeper Claudio Bravo from Barcelona in a boost to Everton’s hopes of landing Joe Hart, according to reports.
The Mirror claim Bravo, 33, will travel to England this week to finalise a transfer to City after agreeing personal terms the Premier League club.
It is said City are haggling over the fee but are now close to the Nou Camp club’s £21.5million valuation and are confident of registering Bravo for their Champions League campaign.
Bravo’s reportedly impending arrival at Etihad Stadium will alter the picture even further for Hart, 29, who was axed for City’s Premier League opener against Sunderland on Saturday.
The Mirror claimed on Monday morning that Everton are keen to make Hart their first-choice goalkeeper even though they have already signed Maarten Stekelenburg from Southampton this summer.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Bravo arrived at Barca in 2014 when boss Luis Enrique took over, but has since lost the battle for the No.1 jersey to Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
The deal increases the chances of Hart leaving City, with the goalkeeper keen to retain his England spot with regular football.
The Telegraph state Hart was dropped on the weekend because he doesn’t fit Guardiola’s ideal of a sweeper-keeper, and that Hart now fears he will be leaving the Manchester club.
The Sun claimed earlier this summer that Everton are willing to pay £40million to land the Manchester City ace as well as offer him a five-year contract worth £200,000-a-week.
The astonishing package said to have been put together by Everton’s super-rich new owner Farhad Moshiri is worth £92million in total.
Hart, 29, joined City from Shrewsbury in 2006 and has been a mainstay of the Premier League team during the Abu Dhabi era.
He is a firm favourite with City supporters for his leadership and commitment, and was a key player in the side that won Premier League titles in 2012 and 2014.
In other Everton transfer news, these are the offers the Toffees will have to make to land Southampton duo.