Everton to make late window bid for £30m-rated ace in hope of cut-price deal - report
By Alex Stevens
Everton will make a late window bid to sign Newcastle attacking midfielder Moussa Sissoko, according to a report.
The Telegraph claim Ronald Koeman’s side have expressed their interest in the player and will hope to get a cut-priced deal before next Wednesday’s cut-off.
It is said that Newcastle value Sissoko at £30million after increasing his valuation from £22million in the wake of his displays for France at Euro 2016.
Sissoko, 27, has not played for Newcastle this season after making it clear he wanted to quit after relegation in May, but clubs have been unable to match the asking price.
Crystal Palace and West Brom are among the other Premier League clubs bidding for Sissoko, while there is also interest from Continental big hitters Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Juventus.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
French newspaper L’Equipe, as cited by the Liverpool Echo, claimed that talks took place last week between Everton and Sissoko’s representatives in France.
Sissoko has made it clear that he wants to leave Newcastle following their relegation from the Premier League and has played no part in the team’s opening five matches of the season, including Saturday’s 2-0 win over Brighton.
However, with three years remaining on his contract, Newcastle feel they are in a strong position and are under no financial pressure to sell the 27-year-old.
Everton completed the £28million signing of Yannick Bolasie from Crystal Palace at the start of last week to go alongside the other three summer arrivals Maarten Stekelenburg, Idrissa Gueye and Ashley Williams.
But billionaire Everton owner Farhad Moshiri isn’t content with the club’s four senior signings and he has made it clear how keen he is to further strengthen the squad.
“We are very pleased about today’s signing but remain anxious to further strengthen the squad,” said the Iranian tycoon, as quoted by the Sky Sports transfer centre blog (7.13pm).
“The chairman, Bill Kenwright is relentlessly pushing things forward with my total support for him, for Steve Walsh and for Ronald Koeman.”
Everton fans will be thrilled with the update by the club’s majority shareholder, who has stayed mainly in the background since taking over the club earlier this years.
In other Everton transfer news, their midfielder is close to agreeing a loan-to-buy move away from the club.