Everton told to replace untouchable in January after Ramsay reveal - pundit
Paul Robinson has claimed Everton are suffering from a major lapse in judgement after failing to secure right-back cover in the summer.
The former Tottenham goalkeeper, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, insisted the Toffees will have to address the problem area in January.
The Scottish Sun reported on Monday (September 13th) that the Merseyside club are chasing Aberdeen’s Calvin Ramsay, 18, following the youngster’s impressive start to the season.
The newspaper also revealed on 12 September that Everton have a “clear run” at signing £10million-rated Nathan Patterson, 19, from Rangers.
Urgency surrounding the Toffees’ right-back chase has accelerated following Seamus Coleman’s recent injury worries.
The captain and long-time untouchable suffered with a hamstring complaint while on international duty last week.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Robinson claimed Everton will be forced to open their chequebook in January to secure a new right-back option.
“He’s [Coleman] injury-ravaged,” he told Football Insider‘s Dylan Childs.
“They were linked with Denzel Dumfries, and I think they’ve missed out by not getting him in the summer.
“It’s a position they haven’t got any cover in, and they knew that going into the season.
“I think it was a lapse to not get a right-back in the window.
“It’s a problem they will have to address in January as there aren’t many free agents around and available.
“They’ll have to get by until then.”
Coleman has a history of injury problems, with muscle problems sidelining him for eight league matches last term.
Patterson is behind captain James Tavernier in the pecking order at Rangers. He is yet to feature in the league this season.
Ramsay has become a fixture at Pittodrie since breaking into the side last month. He has appeared in every league fixture for the Dons this season.
In other news, pundit slams Everton chief after an “irresponsible” mistake.