Exclusive: Bruce pulls plug on Newcastle senior star exit & hands him extended starting run
Newcastle United have told interested parties that goalkeeper Karl Darlow is not for sale this summer after Martin Dubravka’s injury blow, Football Insider understands.
The Magpies confirmed on Thursday that the Slovakia international will be missing for several weeks after he suffered a heel injury in pre-season training.
A source at St James’ Park has told Football Insider that manager Steve Bruce is set to hand Darlow an extended run in the starting XI and as such has pulled the plug on a move away from Tyneside.
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) August 27, 2020
As revealed by Football Insider earlier this month, Birmingham City had a move knocked back for the former Nottingham Forest shot-stopper and the Magpies have now told suitors the 29-year-old will not be allowed to leave.
Darlow is into the final year of his contract on Tyneside and has had interest from the likes of Leeds United in the past.
He featured in all but one of the Magpies’ Premier League matchday squads as an unused substitute last season and has not made a top-flight appearance since February 2018.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
However, he is now set to start the 2020/21 season between the sticks, with summer signing Mark Gillespie to take his place on the bench.
Darlow has played a total of 65 times for Newcastle since he joined in a double deal involving Jamaal Lascelles that was worth in the region of £7million.
However, the majority of his appearances came during the Magpies’ season in the Championship when he was the club’s number one goalkeeper.
In other Newcastle United news, the Magpies are demanding a £1million-plus loan fee for a £40,000-a-week star.