Darren Bent suggests that Marco Silva has until the end of November to save his job at Everton after suffering a difficult start to the Premier League season.
The former Tottenham and England striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, says that the favourable run of fixtures over the next two months means that the Portuguese manager will have to prove himself or face the axe at Goodison Park.
The Toffees, who have only played one of last season’s top-six this campaign, are on a run of four consecutive defeats and sit in the relegation zone heading into the international break.
With games against West Ham, Brighton, Tottenham, Southampton and Norwich before December, Bent admits he thinks the Portuguese boss could be on his way if his side fail to impress over the coming weeks.
Bent told Football Insider: “What’s killing them at the minute is the amount of money they’ve spent over the last couple of years, that’s why no one feels any sympathy for them because they’ve basically been given an open chequebook for the last three years.
“You can’t make any excuses for them, they’re losing games that they shouldn’t. I reckon you give it until after the international break, see how the next couple of months goes and if it goes badly they’ll look to replace him before January.
“He’s had the money, he can’t have that as an excuse. Everton got what they wanted. November comes, if he doesn’t get the results, I think he’s gone.”
Everton brought in the likes of Alex Iwobi, Moise Kean and Jean-Phillipe Gbamin over the summer break to make it another expensive transfer window for the Toffees, having previously splashed out on Richarlison, Yerry Mina, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Jordan Pickford in recent years.
The Toffees’ next game sees them take on a West Ham side who were beaten for only the second time in the league on Saturday, Crystal Palace snatching a 2-1 win at the London Stadium.