EXCLUSIVE By Pete O’Rourke
Midfielder Kyle Scott is set to sign a contract to become Newcastle’s first summer signing today, Football Insider understands.
A Newcastle source has told Football Insider that Scott, 21, has told the club he will finalise a free transfer after accepting their offer of a three-year contract.
Barring any late hitches, Scott should be confirmed as Newcastle’s first recruit of a stormy summer and then an announcement should follow soon afterwards.
Football Insider revealed on Saturday morning that Scott had accepted Newcastle’s contract offer even though the groundwork for the deal had been done by ex-manager Rafael Benitez.
The Spaniard had set the wheels in motion for the deal before his departure at the end of last month after identifying the Chelsea academy product as a value signing.
The Newcastle hierarchy, led by owner Mike Ashley, have sanctioned the move for Scott, who has been convinced that it is best for his career to make the journey to the north-east.
Capped by USA at Under-20 level, the rising star made only one appearance for Chelsea’s first team before he left when his contract expired at the end of last month.
But Scott has played extensively for Chelsea at Under-23s level and honed his game further with a spell out on loan for Telstar in Holland last season.
A versatile midfielder, who can operate in various roles but is predominantly a central midfielder, he made 41 appearances for the Blues age-group side, scoring twice and assisting eight goals.
In other Newcastle United news, it can be REVEALED that Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa has given the green light for the club to sign a senior Magpies star.