By John Wenham

25th Jul, 2022 | 2:32pm

Expert issues 'utter disaster' Newcastle United claim after Nicolas Pepe news

Newcastle United should not sign Nicolas Pepe this summer after his move to Arsenal has proven to be an “utter disaster”.

That is according to Spurs insider John Wenham, who regularly breaks news about the club on his Lilywhite Rose social media channels.

On 22 July, journalist Graeme Bailey told Newcastle fan site Loaded Mag NUFC that there is a “possibility” Pepe, 27, will join the club this summer.

On Sunday (24 July) The Sun reported Newcastle are lining up a move for Burnley star Dwight McNeil, 22.

The Magpies have struggled to sign an attacker this summer after bolstering their defensive options earlier in the window.

However, Wenham insists Pepe is not the answer and claims that Newcastle should sign McNeil instead.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“Pepe has been an utter disaster for Arsenal,” Wenham told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.

“Newcastle would be better spending the money on Dwight McNeil at Burnley. I saw him linked with a few Premier League clubs.

“Palace and West Ham have been linked to him and I could maybe see him doing a job at Palace, all they have are quick wingers.

“But Newcastle should not sign Pepe, I think that is pretty clear.”

Newcastle face Nottingham Forest on 6 August in their first game of the 2022-23 Premier League.

After Dwight Gayle’s permanent move to Stoke, Callum Wilson and Chris Wood are the only out-and-out strikers available to Eddie Howe.

In other news, Newcastle United have been backed to spend transfer ‘war chest’ by one expert as ‘exciting’ deal confirmed.