Date: 1st December 2017 at 8:02am
Written by:

Former West Ham United manager Alan Curbishley has backed the club’s decision to appoint manager David Moyes and believes he will keep the club in the Premier League this season.

Moyes took over at the London Stadium last month, replacing former manager Slaven Bilic who was sacked and has signed a six-month contract until the end of the season.

The Hammers are currently 17th in the Premier League and are without a win in their last seven league matches. Wednesday’s 4-0 defeat to Everton at Goodison Park has left them five points off safety.

However, Curbishley has backed Moyes to turn things around at his old club.

“The recruitment in the summer – they brought a lot of players in – but because of injuries and a lack of form they don’t know their best first XI,” said Curbishley, as quoted by the Daily Star.

“I think once David sorts that out and gets them organised then they’ll pick up.”

The appointment of Moyes has been met with some scepticism from fans, but Curbishley has urged them to have faith and says he cannot think of a manager who would have been a popular choice to succeed Bilic.

The former manager backed Moyes to keep the Hammers in the Premier League and suggested that the club may extend his contract at the end of the campaign.

“I can’t see who would have been universally popular,” he said.

““I think West Ham moved swiftly and they’ve been quite up front. Here’s a short-term deal, keep us up and we’ll talk again.”

Former Everton, Sunderland and Manchester United manager Moyes has taken one point from his first three matches in charge of West Ham.

The 54-year-old will be hoping for his first win as Hammers boss when they face unbeaten Premier League leaders Manchester City on Sunday afternoon.

In other West Ham news, Moyes has revealed what is to blame for the defeat at Everton.

We’ve launched a << BREAKING NEWS FEED>> exclusively for your club. ‘Like Us’ on Facebook by clicking here if you want 24/7 updates on all West Ham breaking news.