By Frank McAvennie

7th Nov, 2022 | 1:25pm

Glasgow pundit on Rangers potentially axing Ryan Kent after source's reveal

Frank McAvennie has claimed Rangers “can’t afford” to drop Ryan Kent.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the former Celtic striker said the only way the Gers can move forward without making new signings is if they can “unearth” great players.

On Saturday (5 November), sources told this site that Premier League side Fulham are keeping close tabs on the 25-year-old.

Last month (1 October), this site revealed that the attacker rejected a new contract offer as he sets his sights on a move to the English top division.

As quoted in the Daily Record (6 November), former Gers striker Kenny Miller questioned whether or not the Ibrox club will want to offer Kent a new deal.

Miller noted the lack of outcry from fans over a new contract for the winger as evidence that they may not need to hold on to him.

Click below for exclusive transfer news

Kent has made 20 appearances for the Glasgow giants so far this season.

In those outings he has scored one goal and provided five assists.

But McAvennie claimed Giovanni van Bronckhorst has no option but to play Kent every week.

He can’t afford to drop Kent because they have not got a big enough squad,” he told Football Insider.

They have young players coming in and that is not the way forward unless they can unearth a couple of great players but I do not think that is going to happen any time soon.

In other news, a pundit has claimed Giovanni van Bronckhorst is three games from the sack after Rangers source’s reveal.