It is a “great coup” for Newcastle United to secure Allan Saint-Maximin to a new long-term contract, according to Kevin Phillips.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, the former Sunderland and England striker said the Frenchman is only going to get better and better.
The north-east giants announced last week that the 23-year-old had pen-to-paper on a six-year deal.
2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣6️⃣#NUFC are thrilled to announce that Allan Saint Maximin has signed a new six-year contract!
Delighted to have you signed up, @asaintmaximin! ⚫️⚪️
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) October 14, 2020
He said after signing his new contract: “I feel it’s my home and I hope this stays my home for a long time. Every club I’d been before, the fans loved me – but not like the Newcastle fans.”
Saint-Maximin has started all but one of Newcastle’s games this season and played a crucial role in their 3-1 victory over Burnley before the international break.
Asked by Football Insider what he made of the winger committing his future to the club, Phillips said: “I wouldn’t say he was the most improved player in the Premier League over the last 12 months because of Adama Traore.
“I thought Saint-Maximin was a bit headless when he first came but having watched him live I changed my opinion on him a little bit.
“Him and Almiron on the night tore West Brom apart (in the FA Cup fifth round in March).
“Saint-Maximin is the sort of player who will frustrate you but then you’ll love him.
“As time as goes on he’ll become more consistent and his end product will become better. I think it’s a great coup to tie him down especially after he’d been linked to a few clubs.”
Saint-Maximin moved to the north-east last summer from French side Nice.
In his first season in the Premier League, he scored three goals and contributed five assists in 26 games.