It will be tough for Newcastle United to keep hold of Allan Saint-Maximin despite him signing a new six-year contract, according to Darren Bent.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, the former Spurs and England striker believes “a lot of the top teams will be looking at him”.
The winger penned a new six-year deal with Newcastle last week, keeping him at the northeast giants until 2026.
2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣6️⃣#NUFC are thrilled to announce that Allan Saint Maximin has signed a new six-year contract!
Delighted to have you signed up, @asaintmaximin! ⚫️⚪️
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) October 14, 2020
The Frenchman moved to St. James Park last summer and quickly became a fan favourite with the Toon Army.
In his debut Premier League campaign the 23-year-old scored three goals and provided five assists in 26 games.
Asked by Football Insider whether his efforts deserved a new contract, Bent said: “He’s been absolutely unbelievable, Saint-Maximin.
“He’s brilliant, exciting. Newcastle fans love him. He’s added end product to his game as well with goals and assists.
“He deserves it. I think the toughest thing for Newcastle is going to be holding onto him.
“I think a lot of the top teams are going to be looking at him.
“He’s got that added dimension, where he’s off-the-cuff, can certainly score goals and provide assists.
“Newcastle, for me, is the perfect place for him. I’d love to see him stay there I think he will stay there because he enjoys being at that football club.”
Saint-Maximin told NUFCTV after signing his new deal that Newcastle felt like home because of the warm reception of the United fans.
He said: “Every club I’d been before, the fans loved me – but not like the Newcastle fans. That’s really important, because for me, you have the football and everything, but you have the human and they give me something different.”
In other Newcastle United news, Football Insider can exclusively REVEAL a big update on Dwight Gayle’s return.