Alan Hutton was left bemused by the news Son Heung-min would likely miss the rest of the season for Tottenham with a fractured arm. 

The former White Hart Lane full-back, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, was left scratching his head at the update as the 27-year-old played the full 90 minutes despite the injury.

Son sustained the injury after just 54 seconds in Jose Mourinho side’s 3-2 victory over Aston Villa last Sunday.

The Korea international then proceeded to play the entirety of the match, scoring twice – including a 94th-minute winner for Spurs.

Hutton was confused as to how the winger could not play again this season but was OK to continue for the entirety of the fixture at Villa Park.

“This is the thing that I don’t understand,” the League Cup winner told Football Insider.

“How can you break it, play 89 minutes and then after that be unable to play and out for the rest of the season? And now he is in need of an operation as well! It was a strange one.

“Unless he has made it worse throughout the 90 minutes – do not get me wrong that might have happened.”

Son has been a crucial cog of Mourinho’s squad so far this season, making 32 appearances and registering 16 goals and nine assists in all competitions.

Spurs have struggled in the Korean’s absence, losing 1-0 at home to Red Bull Leipzig on Wednesday and 2-1 away to Chelsea on Saturday to cap a disappointing week for the Lilywhites.

The injury is worsened with star man Kane sidelined at the present moment, the England captain set to be out of action until April with a hamstring issue.

In other Tottenham news, Paul Robinson has told Football Insider 27-year-old could be heading for the exit door.