Exclusive: Club respond to multi-million Rangers bid for playmaker
Rangers have had a £2million bid for Daniel Johnson rejected by Preston North End, Football Insider can reveal.
The versatile left-footed playmaker, 27, is a top target for the Glasgow giants as they look to strengthen their team before the 5 October cut-off.
A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Rangers have held extensive talks over a potential deal for Johnson but are yet to agree a fee.
The top offer on the table from Rangers for Johnson is said to be short of Preston’s asking price.
The Jamaican is keen to make the move to Ibrox and has failed to make Alex Neil’s squad for four of their five matches this season.
He was omitted from the 18 for Wednesday night’s 2-0 EFL Cup defeat to Brighton after playing 14 minutes of last week’s win over Derby County.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Tellingly, Johnson has been left out of the squad for each of Preston’s opening two Championship matches, a clear sign that he could be leaving the club.
Manager Neil has told the media to draw their own conclusions about the player’s glaring absence.
Preston are vulnerable to losing the versatile midfielder as he has entered the final nine months of a contract that expires next June.
The Jamaican attacking midfielder is in demand after an impressive 2019-20 campaign in which he scored 12 goals and provided eights assists from 33 Championship matches.
Able to operate in advanced positions or in centra midfield, he has been a consistent scorer and creator for Preston across 219 matches for the club, with 43 goals and 26 assists.