'It's a statement from Everton' - Exclusive: Top pundit Wowed after big name signs new contract
Michael Brown has said Everton have made a big statement by tying down Michael Keane to a new five-year contract.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, the former Spurs midfielder believes Keane’s new deal will help the Toffees attract marquee players.
Football Insider revealed last week that the England international was set to pen a new bumper deal at Goodison Park.
— Everton (@Everton) August 30, 2020
Keane, 27, had two years left on the initial contract he signed when he move for a reported initial £25m fee from Burnley in the summer of 2017.
Carlo Ancelotti has already bolstered Everton’s midfield options with the addition of Allan from Napoli, Real Madrid’s James Rodriguez and Abdoluaye Doucoure from Watford.
Football Insider revealed last month that the club had offered Watford midfielder Doucoure £120,000-a-week to move to Goodison Park.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Asked about Keane’s new deal, Brown said: “It’s good. I like him, I think he’s a good player.
“You can look and say ‘is five years a long time?’ But I don’t believe it’s always the full five years. Sometimes they’re subject to games for that extra year.
“It’s a statement from Everton.
“Everton are trying to tie people down, try to make it attractive and try to sign some marquee players.”
Keane has played 107 times for Everton since his arrival on Merseyside three years ago.
The Manchester United academy graduate suffered a dip in performances at the beginning of last season and was dropped from the England squad in November.
However, under Ancelotti, the defender rediscovered his form and did not miss a minute of the Toffees last 11 games and regained his England squad place for this months Nations League games.