Kieran Maguire makes 'big' Man United takeover claim - reveals what it means for Qatari deal
The changes to the Premier League Owners’ and Directors’ Test will have ‘zero impact’ on the potential Qatari takeover of Man United.
That is the opinion of finance expert Kieran Maguire, who exclusively told Football Insider that the recent ownership changes in the Premier League will affect ‘relatively few’ potential owners.
As reported by the Daily Mail on Thursday (30 March), the Premier League voted to prohibit those found guilty of human rights abuses from owning clubs.
As explained on the Premier League website, The Owners’ and Directors’ Test outlines requirements that would prohibit an individual from becoming an owner or director of a club.
The decision came within the same week that Premier League CEO Richard Masters was criticised by Amnesty International and others for green-lighting the Saudi Arabia-backed takeover at Newcastle United.
The Qatari bid for Man United, spearheaded by Sheikh Jassim, has also come under fire, but Maguire insists that the changes made will not impact any bidders.
Get Exclusive transfers news at Football Insider's YouTube TV channel
“As far as the changes to the Owners’ and Directors’ Test that have been agreed upon at the latest Premier League meeting, this will have zero impact in relation to a potential takeover of Man United,” Maguire told Football Insider.
“The changes don’t impact Sheikh Jassim or anyone from Saudi Arabia or other Middle Eastern states.
“Therefore, this is big news for Man United fans who are looking forward to the possibility of being owned by Sheikh Jassim.
“In terms of the proposals, there are going to be relatively few people who could previously buy a Premier League club that now can’t because of these changes.“
In other news, Man United 25-year-old set for summer return to former club