Klopp makes clear-cut statement on Liverpool goalkeeper situation
By Emma Sanders
Jurgen Klopp made it clear where Simon Mignolet and Lloris Karius stand in Liverpool’s squad ahead of their EFL Cup clash against Tottenham.
In his pre-match press conference, Klopp bluntly told reporters that Karius will not be dropped as the Reds’ number one with the German manager giving him his full backing.
The summer signing nudged Mignolet off his perch when he made his Premier League debut against Hull City and he has since kept his place in the side despite receiving a lot of criticism.
“After the last international break I spoke to both of them and we made this decision,”Klopp told reporters, as tweeted by Liverpool Echo journalist James Pearce. “That’s the ranking. Loris No 1, Simon No 2.
“In this moment we have a No 1 and that’s Loris Karius. That’s the situation. I cannot leave them in doubt.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“It’s what I call a luxury problem (with the keepers). Simon wasn’t happy with the situation but you can’t see that in training.”
Klopp: "After the last international break I spoke to both of them and we made this decision. That's the ranking. Loris No 1, Simon No 2."
— James Pearce (@JamesPearceEcho) October 24, 2016
The 23 year-old has now made five first team appearances under Klopp after joining Liverpool for £4.7 million in the summer.
The former Mainz keeper was regarded as one of the best young goalkeepers in the Bundesliga, but has seemingly struggled with life in the Premier League so far.
Mignolet made a number of errors while he was the number one, most notably an error-filled performance against West Brom last season.
Therefore, it came as a relief when Mignolet was dropped but fans have had to remain patient and hope that Karius’ form starts to pick up after their 2-1 victory against Tony Pulis’ side on Saturday.
In other Liverpool news, Lucas Leiva has posted a picture of a number of first team stars at a birthday party.