Leeds boss Heckingbottom confirms interest in dazzling midfield star
Paul Heckingbottom has said that he is delighted that Leeds have signed dazzling midfielder Pablo Hernandez on a new two-year deal, in the face of strong outside interest.
Speculation had been mounting that he could be set to leave and return home to Spain, but that has been put to bed now after the new deal was confirmed ahead on Thursday morning.
Heckingbottom was taking in his pre-match press conference ahead of the Norwich game on Saturday afternoon, and confirmed that there had been lots of interest in the midfielder from other clubs.
He said: “Lots of teams wanted him and he would have been an asset to any squad. We’re delighted to keep him.”
His words were quoted by Phil Hay, senior reporter on the Yorkshire Evening Post.
Heckingbottom on Hernandez deal: "I've asked a lot of questions about him because he's been one of our top performers. Lots of teams wanted him and he would have been an asset to any squad. We're delighted to keep him." #lufc
— Phil Hay (@PhilHayYEP) April 26, 2018
Leeds are set to play Norwich on Saturday afternoon at Carrow Road.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The two teams are side-by-side in the Championship table, both on 57 points and both under-performing, but Leeds ahead on goal difference.
Norwich are one point ahead of rivals Ipswich back in 14th.
Football Insider verdict:
It won’t come as a surprise that lots of other clubs were interested in the talented attacker, but it’s testament to the pull of Leeds still and the loyalty of Hernandez that the club has secured him for another two years. Leeds fans will be as delighted as Heckingbottom with the news that was announced on Thursday morning, especially on the back of all the controversy over the summer tour this week.
In other Leeds news, Massive double fitness boost for Leeds ahead of clash v Norwich – confirmed