Liverpool backed to complete midfielder signing after Takumi Minamino reveal - pundit
Liverpool can use the £15.5million sale of Takumi Minamino to potentially fund a marquee midfield signing in January, according to Noel Whelan.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Leeds United forward delivered his verdict as Minamino closes in on a move to Monaco.
A recruitment source told Football Insider on Wednesday (22 June) that the 27-year-old had snubbed Wolves to sign for Monaco in a £15.5million deal.
The Times’ Paul Joyce reported earlier this month (16 June) that Liverpool are prepared to wait until 2023 to bolster their midfield.
And Whelan has suggested that could be as soon as January if Minamino is to depart.
He told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley: “The manager has had enough time to see enough of the player and enough of the squad to know what areas he needs [more] and what areas he knows he can get by with selling a player.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“Minamino has always been one of those who we thought could do good things but never really hit the heights that we thought when he played against Liverpool in the Champions League.
“It’s a very difficult league that he’s come into with the Premier League. He’s shown glimpses in cup competitions but not enough game time and not enough impact in the Premier League.
“They are making a profit on him and he’s going to get the football that he needs week in, week out and Liverpool have the money in the bank to help with the money they spent on Nunez and other players they’ve brought in.
“When you look at the fact they’ve got players like Harvey Elliott and other players and youngsters coming through.
“In my opinion, Harvey Elliott has more of an impact on that football team then Minamino does.
“If you can get £15.5million for a player to use elsewhere later on, maybe in January or maybe to bank to use at the end of the season for a more permanent fixture in that midfield area then it’s better used in that position.”