By Gabriel Agbonlahor

9th Nov, 2022 | 6:00am

Liverpool backed to complete striker signing after Roberto Firmino reveal - Agbonlahor

Gabby Agbonlahor has tipped Liverpool to sign an upgrade on Roberto Firmino.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker claimed Firmino was “awful” in Liverpool’s 2-1 win over Tottenham on Sunday (6 November) and will only continue to decline.

The 31-year-old is out of contract in the summer and has featured in 12 of the Reds’ 13 Premier League games this season.

Sources told Football Insider earlier this week (5 November) that he is keen to agree a new deal.

It comes after it was revealed last week (3 November) that the club are ready to open talks with their number nine about extending his seven-year Anfield stay.

“It depends on what the new deal is and the figures,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.

Click below for exclusive transfer news

“For me, his performance was awful against Spurs. He kept giving the ball away, he doesn’t press anymore, it looks like he’s gotten a bit lazy and he doesn’t affect the game.

“If Liverpool had someone like Luis Diaz instead of Firmino they would have beaten Spurs by four or five goals. I think he was the weak link.

“There was a reason why the Brazil manager left him out of the squad, he doesn’t do enough.

“Liverpool might look at it and think ‘Do we keep him as a back up and get another striker?’

“It’s very difficult but at 31 he’s only going to slow down even more. His acceleration will not be as good in the next few years.

“It’s a tough decision for Liverpool but maybe he’s done the best he can in a Liverpool shirt.”

In other news, a medical insider has suggested the real reason for Fabinho’s “decline” as new Liverpool details emerge.