Liverpool hit by 'big blow' after Divock Origi money claim - expert
Divock Origi will leave Liverpool in the summer because his wages do not offer value for money, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker claimed it will be a “big blow” to lose Origi given his knack for scoring important goals.
His latest came on Sunday (24 April) when the 27-year-old scored Liverpool’s second in their 2-0 win over Everton.
That was his sixth goal in just 10 appearances against the Reds’ Merseyside rivals but looks set to be his last.
A recruitment source told Football Insider last month (23 March) that he is set to leave Anfield on a free transfer in the summer.
He is out of contract at the end of the season and there have been no talks with Liverpool over an extension but he has three offers from other clubs on the table.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“It will be a big blow to lose him,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.
“But you’ve got to be fair on both sides. Origi’s going to want to play regular football. He’s 27 and wasted so many years at Liverpool without playing much.
“He’s got to play regular football and Liverpool probably don’t want to pay the wages for someone who is not playing as much.”
Origi has played 17 times across all competitions this season, including five starts none of which have come in the Premier League.
The Belgium international has still chipped in with six goals and three assists as Jurgen Klopp’s side remain in pursuit of a historic quadruple.
In other news, Liverpool’s plan to announce a new signing can be revealed.