Liverpool news: 'Ship has sailed' for Naby Keita amid 'honest' talks verdict - pundit
Paul Robinson suspects “the ship has sailed” on a new contract for Naby Keita at Liverpool.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the former Spurs and England number one claimed a deal would not be difficult to do and suggested the 27-year-old is on borrowed time.
Keita has just over 14 months remaining on his contract at Anfield.
The centre-midfielder put pen to paper on a five-year deal upon his arrival from RB Leipzig in July 2018.
He arrived with big expectations but his time on Merseyside has been characterised by injury.
When asked if he expected Keita to sign a new deal, Robinson told Football Insider‘s Dylan Childs: “Talks should have already taken place if he is to get a new deal.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“Why do clubs let players go this late into their contracts if they want to keep him?
“That ship has probably sailed if no talks have taken place so far. Let’s be honest, it is not a deal that would break the bank and alter the wage structure. It would just be an extension.
“The fact that nothing has been done says to me that the ship has sailed.”
Keita was a second-half substitute in Liverpool’s 2-2 draw with Manchester City on Sunday.
The Guinea international produced one of his best displays in a red shirt on Tuesday night as Jurgen Klopp’s side beat Benfica 3-1 in the first leg of their Champions League quarter final.