He is lying - Euro giants chief hits out at Sullivan after West Ham transfer claim
By Danny Wright
Sporting Lisbon communications chief Nuno Saraiva has claimed that West Ham co-owner David Sullivan is lying about a late transfer window offer for William Carvalho.
Sullivan insisted that the Hammers had launched a club record bid for the Portugal international in mid-August and there was eventually an offer agreed between them and the European giants on deadline day, but the deal couldn’t go through as it was too late to do a medical.
Saraiva has since hit out at the West Ham supremo, calling into question ihs transfer claim after what was a disappointing end to the summer window for the clubs’ supporters.
“Mr David Sullivan is lying. No proposal arrived for the player William Carvalho,” Saraiva said, as quoted by Sky Sports in their live transfer blog on Saturday [22:49pm].
“Mr Sullivan has a duty to prove what he says. For this reason, Sporting Clube de Portugal challenge him to publicly show the proposals he says have been made, as well as the evidence that Sporting CP has received them.”
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Carvalho’s move to West Ham was a saga that grumbled on for most of last month, but in the end, the east London club failed to add any defensive steel to their midfield.
Joe Hart, Pablo Zabaleta, Marko Arnautovic and Javier Hernandez are the only additions that Slaven Bilic had made to the first-team since last season while a number of players such as Ashley Fletcher, Robert Snodgrass and Sofiane Feghouli have been shown the exit door.
Despite making what on paper looks like good signings, the Irons have not enjoyed a good start to the season and this latest fiasco will no doubt see further questions asked about the leadership of the club.
Having lost all three of their Premier League openers, West Ham return to action next Monday with their first home game of the campaign against Huddersfield.