Sources: Man City star Joao Cancelo not expected to play for the club ever again
Joao Cancelo is not expected to play for Man City again after completing a shock loan-to-buy move to Bayern Munich, sources have told Football Insider.
The versatile full-back, 28, joined the Germany giants earlier this week and they are able to activate a £61million buy option at the end of the season.
It was a deal that came out of the blue for City fans, who have long regarded the Portugal international as one of the pillars of Pep Guardiola’s team.
But issues have been bubbling behind the scenes for some time amid a deterioration in the relations between Cancelo, Guardiola and his coaching staff.
None of the parties involved expect the Portugese to return to his parent club this summer or, indeed, to play for them again.
It has been reported that Cancelo had a heated training ground bust-up with City boss Guardiola, and he subsequently asked to leave.
Get Exclusive transfers news at Football Insider's YouTube TV channel
The confrontation is said occurred after Cancelo was snubbed during Manchester City’s FA Cup fourth round victory against Arsenal on Friday, having fallen down the pecking order at Etihad Stadium despite an exceptional campaign last term.
Cancelo’s exit leaves City short of recognised full-backs with Kyle Walker, rising Rico Lewis and summer newcomer Sergio Gomez the main option available.
Nathan Ake has deputised impressively as a left-back at times this season and he can be expected to now be a regular for the rest of the campaign.
Cancelo has made 154 appearances for City since signing from Juventus in the summer of 2019 for around £55m.
The 41-times international played a total of 52 games across all competitions last season, claiming a second Premier League crown and a spot in the division’s PFA Team of the Year.
In other news, Kieran Maguire: Man City to fend off ‘attacks’ amid threat to FFP-busting system.