Man United told to U-turn on £55m Benjamin Sesko deal after update - pundit
Gabby Agbonlahor has warned Man United against paying £55million to sign Red Bull Salzburg striker Benjamin Sesko.
The former Aston Villa hitman, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, claimed Erik ten Hag’s side are in need of an “experienced” forward who is currently in their prime years.
According to the Daily Mail (25 July), Red Bull Salzburg want £55million for Sesko this summer, with Man United, Newcastle and Bayern Munich all interested.
The Manchester Evening News claim (29 July) that Red Devils football director John Murtough met with the forward’s agent last week to “gauge the possibility” of a deal.
Sesko, who is under contract until June 2026, has started his 2022-23 campaign with two goals and an assist in two games – and scored against Liverpool in a friendly on Wednesday (27 July).
He notched 10 goals and seven assists in 36 outings last term.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Agbonlahor insisted Man United should have been in the race for Gabriel Jesus – who joined Arsenal earlier this summer.
He told Football Insider‘s Ewan Kingsbury: “Is a 19-year-old the answer for Man United at the moment?
“They’ve got young players in Sancho, Rashford – they’ll be hoping for a better season.
“I just feel like they need an experienced striker who is in their prime right now. Someone like Gabriel Jesus would have been perfect.
“They’ve missed out on him.
“It’s a difficult situation for Man United as there isn’t a great deal of options out there, but I wouldn’t be paying £55million for a 19-year-old.
“It’s a lot of money for an inexperienced player. They need someone who can come in and hit the ground running.”