'Massive statement' - Exclusive: Paul Robinson reacts to Sky transfer report at Everton
Paul Robinson says that Everton have made a significant statement in turning down an offer from Barcelona for star attacker Richarlison.
The former Tottenham and England goalkeeper, speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, says that the club have shown their ambition by standing firm in the face of the Catalan giants.
Sky Sports reported on Wednesday night that the Toffees had immediately rejected a £85million (€100million) for the 22-year-old Brazilian after Barcelona made a move earlier in the week.
Everton have turned down an offer of €100m (£85m) from Barcelona for Brazilian striker Richarlison.
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) January 29, 2020
Robinson says that with Everton having splashed out on a number of big-money arrivals in recent transfer windows, it shows serious ambition from the board at Goodison Park to turn down the offer.
Robinson told Football Insider: “That’s a massive statement from any club, especially one that’s spent as much money as Everton have. They’ve got a lot of players in (under) previous managers, it’s well documented how much they’ve spent.
“They’ve made a statement by getting Ancelotti, players will come to Everton because of Ancelotti and it shows the way the club are wanting to go if they’re holding off bids of that magnitude.”
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The Brazilian forward has been a standout performer for Everton during what has been a turbulent season so far, with 10 goals and four assists in his 27 appearances across all competitions so far.
Having joined from Watford in the summer of 2018, he has a total of 24 goals in 65 appearances and is closing in on 100 Premier League games to his name.