Kevin Phillips insists it will only be the right decision to keep Rhian Brewster at Liverpool until January if he is a regular part of the first team this season.
The former England international, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, expects the 20-year-old to be used as an impact substitute in the 2020/21 campaign with starts coming in the cup competitions.
Football Insider revealed on Thursday that Reds boss Jurgen Klopp has decided not to listen to temporary offers for the England Under-21 international in this transfer window.
Brewster spent the second half of the 2019/20 campaign on loan at Swansea City where he scored 11 goals in 22 Championship appearances.
Despite missing the decisive penalty in the Community Shield the striker has impressed upon his return to Anfield and scored three goals in preseason.
When asked by Football Insider if keeping the young forward on Merseyside until January was the correct decision, Phillips said:
“It is only the right decision if he is involved week in, week out. If he does not make matchday squads and he is playing Under-23 matches then it will be a crazy decision.
“I imagine that Klopp will have him on the bench for most of the games and that he will also get some game time in the cups. They have seen him develop and when you look at that area for Liverpool, there is not a lot of cover there.
“I would love to see the kid get a run in the team and score some goals because we have seen that he has a lot of ability.”
When speaking on the future of Brewster last month, Klopp said: “We want to use Rhian but we want to help Rhian as well so that’s why we have to make decisions, but not now obviously.
“He looks really promising.”
In other Liverpool news, pundit fears first-team star may quit after Sky reveal.