McAvennie claims Postecoglou can't trust Ralston after what happened at Celtic today
Frank McAvennie insists Anthony Ralston can’t complain after he wasn’t included in the Celtic squad to face Ross County.
The Parkhead icon, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, insists new signing Josip Juranovic is Ange Postecoglou’s first-choice right-back.
Celtic announced they had agreed a deal for Juranovic, subject to conditions, on 21 August.
He made his Hoops debut in last month’s Old Firm loss to Rangers and showed his versatility by playing at left-back.
Ralston, 22, has been one of Celtic’s best players this season and hasn’t missed a minute under new boss Postecoglou.
He has made 11 appearances so far this campaign and scored two goals.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
That was until Saturday’s clash against the Staggies.
McAvennie claims Ralston can’t complain about his omission and insisted Juranovic was always going to start ahead of him.
“Ralston can’t complain,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.
“The fact of the matter is Postecoglou can’t trust Ralston. I’ve said it for ages.
“He’s been around the team for six years and done nothing until the start of this season and in fairness, he’s been on fire.
“Juranovic has been brought in to take his position, he’s not going behind Ralston.
“It’s good to have two right-backs but Postecoglou knows who’s first in the pecking order.”
As of yet, Postecoglou has not given a reason for Ralston’s absence on Saturday afternoon.
He could be a big loss for the Hoops with the club’s European campaign set to start this week.