McAvennie lambasts 'embarrassing' Rangers after BT issue Sutton statement
Frank McAvennie has labelled Rangers “embarrassing” amid Chris Sutton’s continued ban from Ibrox.
The former Celtic striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, has been left baffled by the latest developments on Sutton’s ban.
On Tuesday, the Scottish Sun reported BT Sport will cover Thursday’s home clash against Sparta Prague from Parkhead.
Ahead of last month’s clash with Lyon, BT pundits Sutton and Neil Lennon were stopped from entering Ibrox due to security concerns.
A BT Sport spokeswoman told the Scottish Sun (23 November) that covering Thursday’s game from Ibrox would not be possible with Sutton still banned.
McAvennie can’t understand why Rangers are “embarrassing themselves” over “a nothing issue”.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“It’s just embarrassing,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.
“Ally McCoist turns up at Celtic Park and there is no problem, Kenny Miller is always allowed in.
“It’s such a nothing issue. McCoist is a Rangers man and Sutton is a Celtic man, they get on.
“Why is the club making such a big deal out of this? They said it was security concerns last time.
“What a load of nonsense that is. If I was BT I would be looking to punish the club.
“They can’t do that, surely? There are rules in place for these things.
“If Chris had done something incendiary, I would understand it. But he’s done nothing.
“They are embarrassing themselves again.”
Rangers face Sparta at 20:00 on Thursday as they look to progress to the knockout stage of the Europa League.
Celtic kick off in the earlier slot of 17:45 against Bayer Leverkusen in Germany.