McAvennie: My sources tell me 'disrespectful' Howe 'talking to Newcastle' as Celtic latest revealed

Eddie Howe is speaking to Newcastle United as well as Crystal Palace while he holds off on taking the Celtic job. 

That’s according to former Celtic striker Frank McAvennie, speaking exclusively to Football Insider about Howe’s future.

This site first revealed last week Howe was having second thoughts on taking over at Parkhead after reaching a verbal agreement with the club.

This site understands Howe has also spoken to Premier League club Crystal Palace and is on their shortlist to replace Roy Hodgson with his contract set to expire this summer.

McAvennie, who lives in Glasgow and remains closely connected to Celtic, has been told that Howe is also speaking to Newcastle United and urged the Hoops to move on to other targets.

“Eddie Howe is going to be speaking to Newcastle,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“From what I hear, he’s holding back on Celtic and it looks like he’s talking to Newcastle, which is a shame because Steve Bruce has done a good job. 

“Howe’s also waiting on Crystal Palace but Roy is still in the job down there, which means they have to wait until the end of the season to start talking. 

“I think it’s disrespectful to Celtic, I think we have to move on and leave him.

“It’s the few months he wants to wait that lets me believe that he’s speaking to other people and Celtic can’t afford to wait.”

Newcastle find themselves in a relegation battle after a woeful run of just three wins in their last 23 games in all competitions.

Celtic geared up this weekend’s Old Firm clash with a 6-0 demolition of Livingston on Saturday as the club’s mini unbeaten streak continued.

In other news, Celtic have been told to sell one of their big name players after he ‘threw his teammates under the bus’.