McAvennie makes Ibrox TV claim after BBC Scotland update on 'shock' Rangers development
Frank McAvennie has slammed Rangers after Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon were blocked from entering Ibrox on Thursday.
The Celtic icon, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, reacted to the unique series of events that occurred before the Gers’ clash with Lyon.
Ahead of Thursday’s European clash at Ibrox, Sutton tweeted that he and Lennon had been stopped from entering Ibrox to do their television duties.
Sutton claims this was because Gers CEO Stewart Robertson informed them they were a “security risk”.
In a statement shared by BBC Scotland’s Chris McLaughlin, Rangers said they had “complied with all UEFA contractual obligations” regarding the broadcast.
After the game, Sutton swiped at Rangers in another tweet and simply said “didn’t miss much” after the Gers fell to another European loss.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
McAvennie insists Sutton and Lennon were prepared for any abuse that may have come their way.
“What a load of nonsense,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.
“Chris [Sutton] goes, Andy Walker goes, they are all banned. There is no way Lennon shouldn’t have been up there.
“There’s no way that should have happened. I don’t get what happened.
“I’ve been to Ibrox and done TV stuff, you get a bit of abuse, that’s just part of it.
“You just take it. Lenny and Sutton have been to Ibrox before, they won’t have been bothered.
“It’s such a strange one. I’ve never seen anything like it. Shocking.“
A strike from Karl Toko Ekambi and a James Tavernier own goal condemned the Gers to a loss against Lyon.
In the other game in Rangers’ group, Sparta Prague drew 0-0 with Brondby.