McAvennie tells Rangers fans to 'hold the celebrations' after Sky's Van Bronckhorst update
Frank McAvennie has told Rangers fans to hold off on celebrating Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s appointment as Steven Gerrard’s replacement.
The former Celtic man, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, issued this warning after Celtic’s dealings with Eddie Howe last summer.
Sky Sports News reported on Tuesday (November 16) the Gers are holding further talks with the 46-year-old after initial discussions at the end of last week.
The Scottish Sun then reported a private jet was met by club officials after it flew into Glasgow amid speculation over Van Bronckhorst.
Celtic tried to appoint Howe in the summer but weeks of negotiations only led to a club statement confirming Howe would not join the club.
McAvennie admits he’s hoping Van Bronckhorst isn’t as good as some people are saying, for Celtic’s sake.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“He went to Feyenoord and managed to beat Ajax to the title,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.
“Well done to him because that is impressive. I hope he’s not as good as people are saying.
“Obviously I’m looking at this from a Celtic point of view so I hope he’s rubbish.
“I all seriousness, he’s been in talks for a couple of days by the sounds of things so unless something goes dramatically wrong it will be him.
“Just think about what happened with Celtic and Eddie Howe.
“I would urge the Rangers fans to hold the celebrations until it’s done.
“We were burned by Celtic and Howe last summer. Until it’s announced, it’s not done.”
Van Bronckhorst spent three seasons as a player with Rangers in the late 1990s.
He won five trophies with the club, including two league titles.