
Michael Salisbury to be ‘kept away’ from 2026-27 Premier League after Nottingham Forest incident
Keith Hackett insists Michael Salisbury must be kept away from the Premier League for the 2026-27 campaign.
The referee has been snubbed for the final round of fixtures in the English top-flight on Sunday.
This comes after he allowed Matheus Cunha’s controversial goal to stand in Manchester United’s 3-2 victory over Nottingham Forest last weekend, despite Bryan Mbeumo handling the ball in the build-up.
Salisbury, who has been in charge of 13 Premier League matches this season, will not be part of any officiating team in any of the final 10 matches.
Now, Hackett has stated that Salisbury needs to coach to work with him if he is to return to the Premier League after the controversy in Man United’s win against Forest.
Keith Hackett: Michael Salisbury has work to do
Salisbury did not leave himself in good light when he allowed Cunha’s goal to stand last weekend.
Despite going over the pitch side monitor to review the incident, he maintained his original decision.
❌ The referee for Man Utd’s win over Nottingham Forest has been left out of the Premier League’s final round of games.
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) May 20, 2026
Michael Salisbury allowed Matheus Cunha’s goal to stand, despite Bryan Mbeumo handling the ball in the build-up. pic.twitter.com/ypcapWOz88
After the match, Howard Webb reached out to Forest and acknowledged that a different outcome should have occurred.
Now, after learning the news about Salisbury’s exclusion from the round of Premier League fixtures this season, Hackett has exclusively told Football Insider that the official needs to do more to prove himself as a Select Group 1 referee.
He said: “With 20 at SG1 it is evident in these appointments that Farai Hallam is more than likely to be promoted to SG1 next season.
“However, I think more likely that Webb will merge SG1 and Championship Referees next season to avoid demotion.
“It’s handball, it’s as simple as that!”
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) May 17, 2026
Micah Richards and Roy Keane “confused” by the decision to overrule a handball on Mbeumo in the build-up to Cunha’s goal. pic.twitter.com/S9uFJwIHXa
“I have said before the handball incident, and his overturn of the VAR underpinned for me that Salisbury has some work to do to prove himself a SG1 referee.
“He has only officiated 13 Premier League games this season, whereas Pawson has had 19 Premier League games.
“I would keep him away from the Premier League and appoint a good coach to work with him next season to offer the appropriate operational advice to see if he is good to return.”
What has Hackett previously said about Salisbury?
Hackett has previously told Football Insider that Salisbury should be suspended after his error in Everton’s defeat to West Ham United.
In the 85th minute, the Toffees were crying out for a late penalty, with the ball clearly striking Mateus Fernandes’ hand. However, these protests were waved away.
This result could now have a massive impact on the final table, with Everton potentially missing out on Europe, and West Ham potentially staying up at Tottenham Hotspur’s expense.
With his error at Old Trafford quickly following this game, it is clear that Hackett remains unimpressed with the official.
🦁 Premier League Insider Access
Direct access to our dedicated top-flight hubs:
Updated 24/7 with BREAKING NEWS and expert analysis on all 20 clubs