Bundesliga club told to up offer for Newcastle 26-yr-old by £2.4m to seal deal - report
By Tom Blackburn
Bundesliga side Hamburg have been told to improve their bid for Moussa Sissoko, according to a report.
The France international has recently announced his plans to leave Newcastle after their relegation from the Premier League.
French newspaper L’Equipe claim Hamburg have offered Newcastle £9.5million for the attacking midfielder, who has been central to the Magpies team over the past three seasons.
However, Newcastle have rejected the bid, and have said Hamburg will have to pay between £2.5-3million on top of the original offer to meet their valuation of the 26-year-old.
Sissoko joined Newcastle from Toulouse in 2013 and has since made 132 appearances, scoring 12 times. However, he had a disappointing 2015-16 campaign with his only goal in 39 appearances coming against Swansea in April.
Click below for exclusive transfer news
The Frenchman is currently part of Didier Deschamps’ France squad and he came on as a late substitute in their last-gasp 2-1 Euro 2016 victory over Romania on Friday night.
Sissoko admitted last week that he would love to stay in England, with Arsenal being his dream move.
“I would like to continue my career in England. Arsenal is one of the best European teams. To be watched by that sort of club, that proves that you are a quality player,” said Sissoko to Foot Mercato.
“I hope that I will have the chance, soon, to play for this club or for a similar club. Everyone knows, I often said it when I was young, Arsenal is the club of my heart.”
However, Arsene Wenger’s side’s recent capture of Swiss anchor man Granit Xhaka means that a switch to the Emirates is unlikely.
Chelsea are also said to be interested, but it remains to be seen if incoming Blues boss Antonio Conte will be reshaping their squad.
In other Newcastle news, their £12million signing tells the club he wants to quit.