Newcastle star Elliot Anderson blacklisted after injury reveal - pundit
Newcastle United star Elliot Anderson will be blacklisted by both England and Scotland national teams.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, former Scotland and West Ham striker Frank McAvennie said players can’t afford to “pick and choose” when it comes to international football.
The 20-year-old was called up to Steve Clarke’s squad for their Euro qualifier against Cyprus last week and their friendly match against England on Tuesday (12 September).
The Newcastle player left the camp after just two training sessions amid reports that he picked up an injury.
But according to the Daily Express (13 September), the midfielder decided shortly after joining the squad that it wasn’t for him and will now attempt to force his way into the England squad.
But McAvennie insisted Anderson has burned bridges with both teams.
Get Exclusive transfers news at Football Insider's YouTube TV channel
“He will not get a game for Scotland ever again and he will not get a game for England,” he told Football Insider.
“He is not going to get an international call up because you have to go where you can.
“You want to play international football and you want to be the best but if he thinks he can pick and choose he is going to get left behind.
“I do not think he is going to be the world class player he thinks he is. You have got to make a decision and then man up and say it is not for me, not make up that you are injured.“
In other news, Newcastle United reach £40m agreement after player dispute.