Newcastle United warned over Aubameyang after £20m news - Phillips

By Kevin Phillips

3rd Jan, 2022 | 4:32pm

Newcastle told to be 'very careful' as 'astronomical' Aubameyang signing on the cards - pundit

Newcastle United should be “very, very careful” before they rush into spending an “astronomical” fee on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

That is the view of Sunderland icon Kevin Phillips, speaking exclusively to Football Insider about the former Arsenal skipper.

Aubameyang was stripped of the captaincy at the Emirates by Mikel Arteta last month (14 December) after a second disciplinary breach of the season.

The Mirror reported on Saturday (1 January) that Newcastle are looking to sign the 32-year-old on loan with a view to a £20million summer deal.

The centre-forward is under contract in North London until 2023 after signing a new deal in September 2020.

Phillips warned new-money Newcastle to stay well clear of Aubameyang during their first transfer window under the mega-rich Saudi regime.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“I wouldn’t go there,” he told Football Insider‘s Dylan Childs.

“It’s gonna cost them an astronomical amount of money to get him and then there are his wages.

“If you look at his age as well, he’s going to command a lot of money. I would worry if I was a Newcastle.

“At the end of the day, he’s a top player. But would he really come with that attitude to put in a shift, a fight to try and help Newcastle stay in the league?

“I’d be very, very careful. You don’t know which Aubameyang is going to turn up.

“If you knew you were getting the Aubameyang we’ve seen in the past, go for it. I just think at this stage in his career, I’d be very cautious.”

Aubamayang has netted seven times and provided two assists in 15 appearances this term.

Newcastle will be without top goalscorer Callum Wilson for several months after the striker tore a calf muscle in December (2021).

In other news, Kieran Maguire claims Newcastle United “generating huge attention” with news on three “big” deals.