Darren Bent has suggested that West Ham midfielder Declan Rice will be snubbed by England boss Gareth Southgate for the Three Lions’ next starting XI with Jordan Henderson suspended.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, the former Aston Villa and England striker says that the 20-year-old is by no means guaranteed a place in the side when the Three Lions take on Montenegro next month despite Henderson being unavailable.
The Liverpool star picked up a yellow card against Bulgaria on Monday night, a game which Rice missed out on through illness, meaning he will be forced to sit out their next Euro qualifier in November.
However, despite Rice having been a favourite of Southgate since changing allegiances from the Republic of Ireland to England, Bent suggests he could be snubbed in favour of Tottenham’s Harry Winks after his impressive display on Monday.
Asked if Rice would return to the starting XI in Henderson’s absence, Bent told Football Insider: “I’m not quite sure he will do because there’s no point playing him and Harry Winks.
“You put Harry Winks in there, Ross Barkley just scored two so he might be in there and then you’ve Mason Mount. Rice might have to sit on the bench because there’s no point playing them two.
“It’s not like they’re going to be playing a team who are going to be up on the front foot and they might want to shore up the back four, so for me I think Winks will play.”
Rice has now played in all but two of England’s matches since joining the Three Lions’ squad back in March of this year, including five starts in their last six fixtures.
He has been a mainstay for West Ham as well, playing every single minute of the Irons’ Premier League campaign so far this season.