By Danny Wright
Kenny Miller is putting his quest for a new contract on hold as Rangers continue their search for a new manager.
Mark Warburton had asked the board to give the 37-year-old a new deal at Ibrox but it never materialised.
After the manager departed last Friday the club have now turned their attention to bringing in his successor, as well as bringing in a new director of football.
In an interview with the Daily Record, Miller said that he accepted he wasn’t the priority for Rangers at the current time and that he would concentrate on playing.
His contract runs out at the end of the season.
The striker also believes that bringing in a director of football is a good move by the club.
“My contract has been put on the back burner at the moment,” Miller said. “The club have got bigger things to sort out at the moment.
“Any new negotiations or decisions based on players takes a bit of a back seat. It is definitely secondary to us finding a new manager.
“I keep reading about the plan that may be in place for a director of football. That’s great, but we need to sort out the path the club is going to go down and sort out the new manager before any of that stuff happens.”
The striker has nine goals to his name in all competitions this season in 31 appearances. He was on the scoresheet last week when the Light Blues overcame Greenock Morton 2-1 in the Scottish Cup.
Rangers face a trip to Dundee on Sunday and will be hoping to draw level on points with Aberdeen in second place in the Scottish Premiership.
The Dons moved three points clear of Rangers when they beat Motherwell in midweek and have a much superior goal difference.
Aberdeen play Kilmarnock in the 1pm fixture tomorrow and will move six points ahead of Rangers if they secure the three points.
The runner-up spot in the Premiership is now seen as a must-hit target for Rangers.
In other Rangers news, senior man delivers injury update on star duo.