Paul Robinson says fans are starting to see the very best of Tottenham midfielder Giovani Lo Celso after his recent return as a first-team regular.

The former Spurs and England goalkeeper, speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, says that he has been hugely impressed with what he has seen from the Argentine star after an injury setback earlier in the season.

Lo Celso made his 20th appearance of the campaign on Saturday, playing the full 90 minutes in the 1-1 draw with Southampton in their FA Cup clash.

Football Insider have exclusively revealed that the club are working on a deal to sign Lo Celso permanently, having joined on a loan-to-buy deal last summer.

Robinson says the early signs were promising for the 23-year-old and that he has gone from strength to strength after missing a month and a half through injury.

Robinson told Football Insider: “I really like him. When he first came in I liked him but then he picked up the hip injury and it’s taken a little while to settle, it’s always difficult at that age to come to the Premier League.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“He came in, he was starting to do well, getting a bit more game time but then picked up the hip injury. He’s come back and him and Erik Lamela are really having an impact.

“Lo Celso, I think you’re just starting to see the player that he is. I think he could be a real asset to Spurs and I think if the manager likes him you’ll see him stay.” 

Lo Celso has begun to emerge as a regular in the starting XI under Jose Mourinho, with four of his last five league appearances coming from the first whistle.

His two goals have come in the Champions League and the FA Cup, netting against Red Star Belgrade and Middlesbrough respectively.

In other Tottenham news, Danny Mills believes Mourinho has threatened one of his top stars with the axe.