Everton are believed to be in the hunt for Lazio defender Stefan de Vrij this summer, according to a report.
The Mirror has revealed that the Toffees, along with Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal are all thought to be targetting the Serie A ace.
De Vrij is out of the contract at the end of the season and there are suggestions that the Dutch international already has an offer in place which is why he hasn’t agreed new terms at the Stadio Olimpico.
And Lazio sporting director Igli Tare has confirmed that the Biancazzurri ended talks of an extension to the 26-year-old’s current deal, as quoted in The Mirror, he said: “Lazio have withdrawn the proposal we made for a new contract to De Vrij. We are withdrawing, for reasons that we will explain later on.
“It was a choice made after many months of negotiations, but there is also a limit to how things went.
“He has been an exemplary professional and we thank him for that, as well as what he’ll do until the end of the season.
The Blues finally officially announced the extended contract of Idrissa Gueye on Tuesday, despite terms actually being agreed back in October last year.
Football Insider verdict:
It looks as though De Vrij already a list of potential suitors and with the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, and Arsenal all supposedly keen on the player, it looks unlikely that the player will pick Everton over the so-called bigger sides. Having said that, the Toffees have the backing of Farhad Moshiri, which means that that the Blues can compete on a financial level. The 26-year-old, who has 33 caps for the Netherlands, is a quality defender, and someone that would be an ideal fit for Sam Allardyce’s struggling defence.
In other Everton transfer news, contact made: Major interest in Toffees 26-year-old ahead of potential summer exit.