Revealed: Everton expect 10-point deduction to be 'significantly reduced' after appeal
Everton expect their 10-point deduction to be significantly reduced after their appeal, sources have told Football Insider.
The club have already confirmed they will appeal the ruling announced on Friday (17 November).
Everton sources with knowledge of the situation have said the club are confident the 10-point punishment, which comes into immediate effect, will be “significantly reduced”.
The expectation is that the deduction will be potentially halved or more, to around the “three to six points” mark.
That would be a huge boost for Everton after they were hit with the biggest sporting sanction in Premier League history for breaching the financial rules and dropped immediately to 19th in the table.
English top-flight clubs are permitted to lose £105million over three years, and an independent commission found Everton’s losses to 2021-22 amounted to £124.5million.
The club said they were “both shocked and disappointed” and would appeal.
It has been widely reported that the punishment has also opened Everton up to league challenges from Championship clubs like Leeds United, Leicester and Southampton – as well as top-flight clubs such as Burnley.
Everton have four and drawn two of their 12 Premier League games so far in the 2023-24 campaign.
But until a decision is made on their appeal, the Merseysiders will have to fight to move past promoted trio Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley and out of the relegation zone.
Sean Dyche’s side are one of six Premier League clubs to never drop into the second tier since the league’s reformation in 1992.
The Toffees have come close to the drop in each of the last two seasons – and survived on the final day of the 2022-23 campaign with a win over Bournemouth.
Everton are next in action against Man United on 26 November.
In other news, Everton striker talks could open in weeks.