Jose Mourinho will personally spearhead the Tottenham pursuit of Inter Milan defender Milan Skriniar this summer, Football Insider understands.
Spurs are planning a fresh attempt to lure the centre-back, 26, from the Serie A leaders after talks were held in January and last summer over a potential deal.
A Tottenham source has told Football Insider that the club will “have another go for Skriniar” as he is wanted by Mourinho.
The Portugese is a big admirer of the Slovakia international and he is the favoured centre-back choice of the manager going into the window.
It is likely an early-window will be made to sign him after the groundwork was laid previously.
The club’s top priority in the summer is to recruit a top-class centre-back after failing to do so last summer.
Sunday’s 2-2 draw against Newcastle United provided further evidence of Spurs’ defensive troubles, with another sloppy display at the back.
Joe Rodon was the best of the back four, with Davinson Sanchez once again struggling while full-back duo Japhet Tanganga and Sergio Reguilon were also below-par.
As revealed by Football Insider last week, a deal was “very close” to being agreed in January for Skriniar for around £25million.
But Inter pulled the plug on discussions as the Slovakian had recovered his best form following a difficult start to the season and they did not want to let him go.
The Italian club are in a difficult position as their finances are stretched, and that will open the door to offers for their star men.
Talk of a potential £60million-plus fee is said to be well wide of the mark.
Skriniar was part of a three-man defence that helped Inter keep a clean sheet in Sunday’s 1-0 win over Bologna.
He has made 23 Serie A starts among 31 Inter appearances this season and been a key player as they close in on their first title in 11 years.