Tottenham have told Inter Milan they are submitting a formal bid for Milan Skriniar after weekend talks, Football Insider understands.

Spurs are in hot pursuit of the defender going into the final week of the window and are hopeful an agreement can be secured.

A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Tottenham are readying a £30million offer for Skriniar, 25, after being given encouragement by their Italian counterparts they will sell.

Inter want a straight-cash deal and have knocked back various part-exchange options and alternative formulas, including a loan-to-buy.

This site revealed last Friday that Spurs had been told that Inter were prepared to drastically reduce their initial £55m asking price for the defender.

In a second major development, Skriniar was also omitted from Antonio Conte’s side for their first league match of the season on Saturday, a 4-3 win over Fiorentina.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Inter fielded a three-man defence made up of Alessandro Bastoni, Danilo D’Ambrosio and former Man City man Aleksandar Kolarov.

Conte revealed an “important bid” for Skriniar could be enough to tempt Inter into a sale.

Spurs technical director Steve Hitchen was in Milan on Wednesday of last week for discussions with the defender’s representatives.

Those talks have continued and the player is said to be tempted by the prospect of regular playing time at Tottenham.

The Slovakia international has been a mainstay of the Italian side since joining in 2017, making 128 appearances in all competitions.

It has been reported in Italy that Inter are already discussing potential replacements for Skriniar, including Schalke’s Ozan Kabak.

In other news, the door has opened for Tottenham to sign Premier League forward loved by Pochettino after Mourinho calls “every day”.